Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fashion 201: White After Labor Day?

I know we have all heard the old adage "no white after labor day." In an attempt to track down the source of this rule, I went on a young internet search. I couldn't find a concrete source as to where the "rule" originated. Some argue this rule came about because of temperature while others suggest it stems from a class issue.

While the origin is up for debate, Ask Yahoo offered up the following explanation as to what the rule includes:


Originally, the rule was more along the lines of "Only wear white shoes between Memorial Day and Labor Day." Furthermore, it mainly applied to white pumps or dress shoes. White tennis shoes and off-white boots seem exempt, as are any shoes worn by a winter bride. "Winter white" clothing (e.g., cream-colored wool) is acceptable between Labor Day and Memorial Day too.


Readers SOUND OFF!
What do you think of the no white after labor day rule?

A. I wear white whenever I want!
B. Wearing white is fine as long as it is does not read summer.
C. White shoes are for nurses, majorettes and communion Sunday only!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually think that white is okay year round as long as you look chic, in style, and it doesn't scream summer! Shoes are pushing it in my opinion. Winter white is always acceptable.

Anonymous said...

White after Labor Day is almost a bigger fashion faux pas as wearing boots in the summer... I'm all for winter white after Labor Day, but pure white, especially white shoes (other thatn tennis shoes), is a HUGE NO NO!!!

Unknown said...

I think anything but shoes is a go.